Saturday, May 31, 2008

A man called inclement weather: Introduction

Most people have bosses with names like "Todd" or "Bill" or "Think of common female name to show I'm not sexist and can imagine a woman in a leadership role."

These are good names. They are normal names. They indicate a dependable upbringing and in turn a likely well-adjusted individual.

If your boss's name is Bowser, you are a video game character and none of this applies to you.

And if your boss's name is Storm, you should follow these steps to determine if your chosen job is the appropriate one for you:

1. Examine yourself for mutant powers.
Likely outcome: You are unable to shoot elemental projectiles or shape-shift in some way.
What that means: You are not an X-Man and your boss is probably not a white haired lady who looks like Halle Berry.

2. Note whether your salary or hourly wage sounds impressive when you say it out loud.
Likely outcome: Announcing your income out loud elicits laughter from third parties or an involuntary, exaggerated clown frown on your face.
What that means: You are not making enough money and you have embarrassed yourself in public.

If your results match the likely outcomes above, consider the following: Your boss has a really stupid name. You have associated yourself with him.

I tell you this because I worked for a man named Storm. He was a strange character with delusions of grandeur and a shady past I've only just recently discovered.

He provided me with a job I would describe as simultaneously the worst job I've ever had and the most hilarious job I've ever had.

So join me - won't you? - on a journey of immensely bizarre proportions. Or, if you lack a time machine, please read my description of a journey of immensely bizarre proportions.

NEXT TIME ON A MAN CALLED INCLEMENT WEATHER: Signs of Stormy Weather! (I meet Storm)

No comments: