Tuesday, March 4, 2008

From the vault

I now bring you the unedited text of a document I recently unearthed from 2005:
"Innocent until proven guilty."
"You make it sound like a forgone conclusion."
"That's the saying, Jack."
"Innocent unless proven guilty. Our justice system should really take a look into adopting that saying."

By kc
Bravo, "kc." Bravo. This is some pretty awesomely hokey dialogue.

Part of me is embarrassed to have written this. Firstly (what a terrible word) because I'm sure a bunch of other idiots have come up with the same thing thinking they were really clever, and secondly because there is no story to go with it. It's just a bit of dialogue I apparently thought was cool. I'm not sure this is the kind of thing you can flesh out into a screenplay...

There's another part of me that cautiously supports what I wrote. I guess this is pretty normal trepidation for a writer. Sometimes you can't convince yourself something you've written is crap until someone else tells you it is.* And why should I feel stupid that other people have written the same thing? I'm pretty sure I came up with it independently.

"By kc." That seems to assert pretty clearly that this is my intellectual property. Still, looking back at the lowercase letters of my name makes me wonder if I'm betraying some kind of doubt that this is original work.

Hopefully it's just a personal flourish I've forgotten about.

*Sum of "somes" in that sentence: 3.

1 comment:

Eric G. said...

As always, hilarious.