Sunday, March 9, 2008

Boring basketball post

I'm behind in writing in this thing. I've meant to add something every day. Somehow I haven't had time. I still have to write about my experience walking through the rain on Friday, but I'm too tired to go into detail about that right now. I think the story that follows is worth reading about, but I feel like I'm about to fall asleep so I'm not sure if any of the words after this make any sense. I used the word "but" in two sentences in a row. I feel like that's bad writing, but I don't care.

Here is something important you need to know: American University basketball is amazing and we're going to the NCAA Tourney. It's going to happen. I have decreed it so.

We knocked off Army today, but at a bit of a price. One of our better players looks like he might be done for the season. Color me embarrassed because I had no idea who the guy was who came in for him.

At half time, I was talking to a Washington Post blogger I read and met once before. Occasionally I'll shoot him an email. When we were talking he asked why I'd never mentioned that someone related to Nick Hendra had been involved in This Is Spinal Tap. "I don't know who Nick Hendra is," I said.

He told me Hendra played for our team. Oops.

As fate would have it, Hendra actually got some playing time in the second half after the injury and he was pretty big in securing the win. He's apparently one of the best recruits we've ever signed, but for some reason Jeff Jones, in his infinite wisdom, decided he deserved no playing time this year.

Hendra threw down what I can only describe as an amazing slam dunk because I'm too tired to think of other, more descriptive and flowery words. Anyway, he kicks ass, and that's all I have to say about that.

I was immensely impressed by the turnout today. I'm almost jealous that we're no longer the super fans. Everyone has stepped up their fanhood to match us. And by "us" I mean probably myself and one other guy who consistently went to games this year before it was clear we were going to be tops in the conference. Then of course there's the track team. They've easily supplanted us at this point.

Oh well, I just want to storm the court on Friday.

This post is awful. Go ahead and skip reading it.

Addendum: If anyone has any idea where I can buy an American University jersey, please let me know.

2 comments:

R said...

Yay! Posts to read at work...I mean, what?

As I've mentioned (in ahead-of-time defense of anyone labeling me as a "fair weather" fan, because I've never been familiar enough with leagues to know when a team is doing well), I'm new to this whole enraged basketball fandom thing this season, so I don't know who most of the players are. Takes some time to learn...I would suggest flash cards, but that seems a bit over-the-top.

And re: your comment on my last post, you could just go ahead and steal all my ideas...that's cool...

They got President Kerwin a jersey for his inauguration, but I wonder if that was just a special occasion sort of thing.

R said...

I'm actually headed to New Jersey tomorrow (other plans having fallen through, because nobody in their right mind goes to Jersey voluntarily...'nuff said), but we're not leaving until some point shortly after 1. So maybe before then? If not, I will see you at the game on Friday.