Thursday, March 6, 2008

Bustin' makes me feeeel good

I wasn't at all with it when I was walking to class yesterday. I'd pulled an all-nighter and something had come loose in my head.

I had a feeling my brain was in the process of overwriting the previous day's morning because sleep hadn't provided any separation between the dates. My brain sacrificed the shields for more power in the engine room and it just couldn't register the repetition. I didn't get a warning asking me if I wanted to save under a different filename. The Morning of March 4, 2008 is gone. How sad.

It's weird brushing your teeth when an entire night has completely disappeared. For me, embracing a new day isn't possible in this scenario.

At any rate, during the walk, the Ghostbusters theme song popped up on my iPod. This is a song I will generally skip. It has a five-star rating that I generously bestowed upon it, but I'm never in the mood to listen to the whole thing because it's not one of those songs that makes me feel hip and cool.

This time I let it play. I was too out of whack to respond to my normal objections. Still, other primary brain functions were operating normally. Specifically the brain functions that cause me to walk to the beat involuntarily like a complete moron.

I haven't determined how to turn this off, but other, more self-aware parts of my brain valiantly do battle to combat the issue. The result is a halting gait that I'm sure makes it appear as though my legs are fighting to stay on the ground due to a lack of gravity below my waist.

When "Ghostbusters" made its way to my ears, I knew I was in trouble. I pictured the closing credits to the cartoon. You know, the part where they're all dancing down the street and for some reason there's confetti all over the place and a huge crowd is cheering them on.

My knees began to wobble. I leaned back a little bit. My arms bent at the elbows. I had the sudden urge to snap. My butt might have even partaken in a bit of a shimmy.

I regained composure for the most part, but I can't be certain I didn't have occasional leg convulsions accompanied by fist pumping making it look like I was approximating a stereotypical Russian dance as performed by a Chris Tucker impersonator.

I had to suppress the urge to burst out into laughter at least six times. I ended up grinning like an idiot or I guess like the ghost in the opening credits, not that this is unusual for me.

When the song ended, a Green Day song attempted to take over. "Doooo you have the time...?" Billie Joe Armstrong began to ask me. "No," I responded almost out-loud and hit the back button so I could hear "Ghostbusters" again.

------------------------------------

For your reference and personal edification:

Opening


Closing

I can only hope I looked like an amalgamation of the two.

1 comment:

R said...

I have no problem with link clickage. As an admitted blog addict, it gives me warm fuzzies when somebody admits to reading the drivel that I throw out on on the web.

In response to your posting...I can relate to that feeling that time has gone on forever, and you begin to wonder whether that was breakfast or lunch you ate about 3 hours ago, but those 3 hours might in fact have been 20 minutes.

Freshman year, I would do homework all night, look at the clock around 5 AM and think, "Gee, this is a perfect time to do laundry." That's when you know you've really lost it.

And also. As a group of Men Without Hats might say...you can dance if you want to...and if that's to Ghostbusters, go for it!